Monday, June 14, 2010

Quest for health (aka. keep 911 on speed dial)

I joined a new homeschool community last fall and feel so blessed that not only do we LOVE the direction it took our homeschooling, I LOVE the friends I have made. Our fearless leader fondly calls us freaks and we all definitely have at least one characteristic of freakness to each of us...but not in a bad way. You see, sometimes it is totally ok to not be "normal" and do a few freaky things (think about it...we all have something that others would think is odd). Our differences make us such a great group and I am learning so much from these ladies. We have several families that eat very healthy...and they are slowly teaching us how to eat right. We have heard words and seen foods this week that I have never heard of...and I'm excited to keep learning. On Saturday, I visited my first Farmer's Market - super cool. I'll definitely do that again soon! For breakfast today, we had homemade bread (I love that I can set the bread maker to be ready at 7am and then go to bed and wake up to yummy bread baking smell), topped with homemade butter (really!). Delish! I spent 2 hours yesterday following a friend around Whole Foods, learning the good, the bad, and the ugly of our current diet. We have a long way to go but are taking baby steps to get there. Eating the elephant one bite at a time, so to speak.

Which brings us to kombucha. We had a ladies night out last week and one of my awesome friends brought us starters of kombucha. She use to teach Science so I thought she had pigs ears or something in there that we could dissect with our kids. Nope. No such luck. Hmmm....after researching it online, I think it really will be good for us to detox our bodies from all the junk we put in, so I decided to start it last night.



When she was giving us the directions, I was adding in things that probably would be common sense to most, but really, I need this dumbed down for me! But I felt good about it and got started.

I got through step 1 without incident. Boil a gallon of water. CHECK.
Then we got to step two, add tea bags. I thought I did really well with that one, until the house started stinking. See, we have a gas stove and those little strings that hang down with the labels on them are pretty long. And apparently NOT flame resistant! Oops. Lit all three on fire. Here is what was left of the 3 after I finished step 2.


I got it all finished and it is quietly fermenting in a cabinet as we speak. Yummy.

So, wish me luck on my quest for health. It will be worth it...if it doesn't kill us in the process ;o)

4 comments:

  1. Look at you!! I may have to try some of your Kombucha...hey it maybe better than the bottled stuff ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely count me in on the kombucha, too! :-)
    Hope Whole Foods wasn't too overwhelming! Remember it's all about baby steps!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be a hater, SJ. I'll share when you visit ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!!