Monday, July 2, 2012

Money to burn

I took the kids out to "do love" this morning and love that they don't question my craziness, but just suck it up and do it. Some with a smile, some without, but hopefully they all saw the value in what we did in serving others.

On the way to and from our destination, we passed approximately 9 million fireworks stands. Ugh. I really, really, really hate buying fireworks. To me, it is just about the equivalent of actually lighting our money on fire. But I know they LOVE them so I sucked it up (seeing a sucking it up theme in our family?) and stopped. I only took $10 up with me. That's it. I told the guy helping us that we had $10 to spend and that is it and he was so kind to help, and add and re-add so we got right to our budget. The kids did a good job of getting the things they wanted and not asking for any more. I was impressed.

So we get up there to pay and it was $10.54 and T says, "Will we have to eat sandwiches all week?" Haha. I had taken the money out of grocery envelope, just because that was the only one I had with me. I'll reimburse it with some entertainment money but still, in the big scheme of things, it was only $10. I think the guy must have felt sorry for me b/c he quickly paid the extra $0.54 so we didn't go over budget. Lol.

Ironic that in a week of possessions, we buy completely disposable possessions. Here is what burning $10 looks like, minus one thing that we already did. Sickening!


On that note, off to take WAY more than 7 things to deliver them. I'll update on that later :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a big fan of fireworks either! And my son has been begging me to buy some. So far, I've been putting him off with various excuses. Maybe I'll try your idea and just give him a few dollars and let him budget it!

    Hope you enjoy your fireworks and have a wonderful and fun 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!!